Frequently Asked Questions

Owner Builders

One Stop Between You and the NHBRC

Owner Builders Frequently Asked Questions

Here are Frequently Asked Questions regarding the NHBRC and The Facilitators.
Please note that The Facilitators consult, advise, and assist with Registrations, Enrolments, Status Upliftments, Renewals, Late Enrolments and all other NHBRC Related applications, procedures, processes, regulations, rules, and any other activities.

Can I get exemption from enrolling my home if I am an Owner Builder?


Yes, you can, but you must get exemption from the NHBRC as an Owner Builder before construction starts.

Do I have to get exemption before I start building?


Yes, you must get exemption from the NHBRC before construction starts.

Where in “The Act” does it say an Owner Builder must get exemption to build a home or pay the NHBRC an enrolment fee?


Section 29 (1a) and Section 14 (1a) of The Housing Consumers Protection Act No 95 of 1998 clearly states the procedure and process to follow to obtain exemption or to otherwise register as a Home Builder and pay the enrolment fee.

Can a Home Owner make use of an unregistered builder if he himself registers with the NHBRC?


Yes, the Home Owner can register as a Home Builder/Owner-Builder with the NHBRC and make use of a subcontractor to build. The registered Home Builder/Owner-Builder will then be liable and responsible for conforming to the NHBRC procedures, processes regulations and rules.

If your question was not listed, please contact us here or on 0861 2 ENROL (3 6765)


The Facilitators are not part of the NHBRC. We Facilitate a One Stop Service pertaining to all NHBRC Applications, Procedures and Processes to be implemented between the NHBRC and Home Builders.

Contact Us

Address: 174 Retief Avenue
Lyttelton Manor Ext 1
Centurion, 0157
Phone: 0861 2 ENROL (36765)
Fax: 086 696 4705