One Stop Between You and the NHBRC
Housing Consumer’s Responsibility
Home Owners must follow the steps below to ensure a successful relationship between themselves and the Home Builder.
- Check the reputation of the Home Builder.
- Ask to see the Home Builder’s current NHBRC Registration Certificate
- Telephone the NHBRC to confirm whether the Home Builder is registered and if his registration is current
- Take the time to inspect some of the homes built and completed by the registered Home Builder.
- Talk to Home Owners who have made use of the services of the Home Builder before.
- Make sure the Home Builder gives you a proper contract for the building of your new home.
- Keep a copy of the written agreement and all other documents.
- Meet the contractual and financial obligations of the Home Builder.
- Keep record and proof of all payments made to the Home Builder.
- When you move into your new home, draw up a list of all the problems and defects (snag list) in your new home and hand it over to Home Builder within ninety (90) days from date of occupation
- Home Builder’s Registration Certificate (issued by the NHBRC)
- Home or Residential / Unit (Sectional Title) Enrolment Certificate (issued by the NHBRC)
- Formal Proof of payment document for the enrolment fee paid to the NHBRC.
- Building Contract signed by both Housing Consumer and Home Builder along with all appendices.
- Title Deed in the name of the Homeowner.
- The Local Council approved plans and specifications of the home.
- Signed and Bar Coded NHBRC documents (EF003, B1, or ST003) by Competent Person.
- Competent Person’s design assumptions, calculations, and blocked design diagram(s) in the instance of Technical and Late Enrolments.
- A copy of the Competent Person’s current Professional Indemnity (PI) Insurance.
- The letter of occupation signed by the new Home Owner on occupation of the house.
- The snag list (compiled by Home Owner), submitted to Home Builder/Developer within ninety (90) days from date of occupation and proof of submission to Home Builder/Developer