The National Home Builders Registration Council (NHBRC)

One Stop Between You and the NHBRC

One Stop Between You and the NHBRC

Housing Consumer’s Responsibility


Home Owners must follow the steps below to ensure a successful relationship between themselves and the Home Builder.

Step One:

  • Check the reputation of the Home Builder.
  • Ask to see the Home Builder’s current NHBRC Registration Certificate
  • Telephone the NHBRC to confirm whether the Home Builder is registered and if his registration is current
  • Take the time to inspect some of the homes built and completed by the registered Home Builder.
  • Talk to Home Owners who have made use of the services of the Home Builder before.
  • Make sure the Home Builder gives you a proper contract for the building of your new home.

Step Two:

  • Keep a copy of the written agreement and all other documents.

Step Three:

  • Meet the contractual and financial obligations of the Home Builder.

Step Four:

  • Keep record and proof of all payments made to the Home Builder.

Step Five:

  • When you move into your new home, draw up a list of all the problems and defects (snag list) in your new home and hand it over to Home Builder within ninety (90) days from date of occupation

Important Documents

  • Home Builder’s Registration Certificate (issued by the NHBRC)
  • Home or Residential / Unit (Sectional Title) Enrolment Certificate (issued by the NHBRC)
  • Formal Proof of payment document for the enrolment fee paid to the NHBRC.
  • Building Contract signed by both Housing Consumer and Home Builder along with all appendices.
  • Title Deed in the name of the Homeowner.
  • The Local Council approved plans and specifications of the home.
  • Signed and Bar Coded NHBRC documents (EF003, B1, or ST003) by Competent Person.
  • Competent Person’s design assumptions, calculations, and blocked design diagram(s) in the instance of Technical and Late Enrolments.
  • A copy of the Competent Person’s current Professional Indemnity (PI) Insurance.
  • The letter of occupation signed by the new Home Owner on occupation of the house.
  • The snag list (compiled by Home Owner), submitted to Home Builder/Developer within ninety (90) days from date of occupation and proof of submission to Home Builder/Developer

The Facilitators are not part of the NHBRC. We Facilitate a One Stop Service pertaining to all NHBRC Applications, Procedures and Processes to be implemented between the NHBRC and Home Builders.

Contact Us

Address: 174 Retief Avenue
Lyttelton Manor Ext 1
Centurion, 0157
Phone: 0861 2 ENROL (36765)
Fax: 086 696 4705